- 1 cup plain flour
- 130 ml hot water
- ½ brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Melt brown sugar with the hot water and set aside.
- Combine flour and baking powder and then add sugar water. Stir the batter in one direction for 3 to 5 minutes
- Pour batter into small cake tins (cup cake size). Set aside and allow the batter to settle.
- Bring enough water to boil in a large steaming saucepan.
- Once the water begins to boil place cakes inside, ensuring that the water level is just below the molds and cover
- Steam for 20 to 25 minutes.
Note: The cakes will “blossom” in the first 10 minutes. It is recommended using high heat to start to reduce the heat slightly throughout the process.
Makes 4 serves