- 2 cups plain flour
- 160g cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 300mlthickened cream, whipped (to serve)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 650gpumpkin, peeled, seeds removed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (or allspice)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (plus extra to dust)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup pure cream
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- Process flour, caster sugar and butter in a food processor until like breadcrumbs. Add egg and 1-2 tbs cold water. Process to form a dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Divide dough into 2 pieces, one slightly larger. Wrap in plastic and chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice pumpkin and place into a pan. Cover with cold water, then bring to the boil over high heat. Simmer for 10 minutes until soft. Drain and return to hot pan to dry. Transfer to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm pie tin. Roll larger piece of pastry out to fit base of pie tin. Ease into tin. Trim off excess. Prick base 5 times with a fork and chill for 10 minutes.
- Line pie shell with baking paper. Fill with baking beads or raw rice. Bake 15 minutes. Remove paper and beads. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Cool.
- Meanwhile, combine pumpkin purée, sugars, 1/2 tsp salt and spices in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool for 5 minutes. Stir in cream, eggs and vanilla. Pour into pie shell.
- Roll out remaining pastry. Using a small fluted cutter, cut shapes from dough. Brush edge of pastry with glazing egg and arrange pastry pieces, overlapping slightly around edge. Brush with egg, to glaze, and bake for 45 minutes or until filling is just set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve with thick cream, dusted with extra cinnamon.