- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1 cup brown sugar – packed
- ½ cup butter (1 stick) – softened
- ½ cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Lightly grease a baking tray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and spices.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy before adding the egg and molasses.
- Stir until well combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, constantly mixing. Then, stir in the raisins and make a dough.
- Flour your hands and press the dough over the baking tray in an even layer.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Let cool completely before slicing into pieces.
Makes up to 32 pieces