This recipe comes from one of our favourite foodies – Recipe Tin Eats.
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt , full fat
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder or cayenne pepper powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ginger, freshly grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 750 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 g) ghee or butter, OR 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup tomato passata (aka tomato puree)
- 1 cup heavy / thickened cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Basmati or white rice
- Coriander/cilantro (optional)
Optional blitz: for an extra smooth sauce, combine the marinade ingredients (except the chicken) in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Marinade: Combine the marinade ingredients with the chicken in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours up to 24 hours.
Cook chicken: Heat the ghee (butter or oil) over high heat in a large fry pan. Take the chicken out of the marinade but do not wipe or shake off the marinade from the chicken.
Place chicken in the fry pan and cook for around 3 minutes, or until the chicken is white.
Sauce: Add the tomato passata, cream, sugar and salt. Also add any remaining marinade left in the bowl. Turn down to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
Garnish with coriander/cilantro leaves if using.
Serve with your choice of basmati or white rice.